Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Who's hiring?

No, I'm not out of a job. Well, not yet anyway. If you know me, you know my boss is a douchebag. A big one. After a few months of relative quiet (well, except that particularly disgusting comment about white shirts, band-aids, women in our department and the fact that it was raining), I got the smackdown today. I used to call it the Friday night smackdowns because I tended to get some sort of talking to every Friday until he apparently became afraid I'd leave when I got pregnant.

You'd think that getting insulted would be upsetting. But the thing is, when it happens so frequently for so many stupid reasons, it really starts to roll of your back. I wonder what would happen if he actually had a good reason for giving me the smackdown. Would it even make a dent?

Anyway, the last time I got a talking to it was because I left my computer on. I thought I was in Office Space. The cause of today's smackdown was... Wait for it... I had the unmitigated gall to e-mail his boss and ask her a question about a product. The issue wasn't the product I recommended we develop. It wasn't the price I recommended. And it had nothing to do with the policy behind the development of the product. Nope - the problem was that I hadn't followed the "chain of command," even though his boss had asked me to go direct to her. So, the very fact that I had e-mailed her was the problem. The horrors!

So, I'm done. Just done. I'm going to work there as long as it takes me to find a job unless I go postal one day. Then I'm leaving. I hate it there. It's soul sucking and actually makes me miss my previous job where they wanted to give me a Blackberry to take with me on maternity leave.

This might actually be pretty decent timing. Unless healthcare reform gets repealed, I know something about the changes that are supposed to take effect. Anyone need a senior product manager for government entitlement programs? A regulatory affairs manager perhaps? An editor? Writer? Anybody?

No comments: