Friday, August 14, 2009

And so it begins.

You know that part of pregnancy when you begin to hear such classics like, "Wow, I can't believe how big you're getting?" Well, apparently I've entered that stage. At work, anyway. I forgot how annoying this part of pregnancy was. Why must people feel so comfortable commenting on such things? My weight gain isn't particularly insane - I'm right around 16 or 17 pounds heavier than I was before I got pregnant. I'm starting to get occasional ankle and finger swelling if I don't walk around a lot - the last thing I want to hear is confirmation that I'm beginning to look like a whale.

Oh, and did I mention that everyone at work except two people - yes, two people - calls me "Mama" or "Mommy?" Even my own mother has taken to referring to me as "Mom." Well, there goes my identity again. I remember that was one of the hardest parts of having Ragsy emotionally. You sort of disappear for a while into this strange nothingness where you're your kid's mom and that's it. I know it's going to be lots worse after the new baby is actually born and I won't begrudge him or her a moment of attention or love, but it sort of sucks when you were used to being yourself to other people and suddenly you're only yourself to you.

And Ragsy's been pitching more of a fit lately, too. I don't think it's the baby - Ragsy has seen ultrasounds but so far has incredibly bad timing about actually feeling it move, though God knows I've got another linebacker in my stomach. I think it's the start of pre-school.

Even though all his school bus and party cake dreams have come true, I guess pre-school brings with it a lot more expectations (that you'll always go to the bathroom when you need to go, that your behavior is more mature, etc.) and new experiences. It's wearing on him a little. He's even developed a transient tic where he blinks his eyes really hard occasionally. At first we were concerned that it was a vision issue, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. And it gets lots worse when we mention it, so we're trying to keep our mouths shut. I'm hoping it'll ease up over the weekend after he's had some time to decompress. His doctor doesn't seem concerned, so I'm going to try not to get weirded out by it.

Oh, well. He's an intense kid and I wouldn't have him any other way.

2 comments:

flatflo said...

I love Ragsy and will love your new bundle of (insert one: joy, energy, hilarity) but you are my #1 best amiga! Feel free to call if you feel like some conversation that does not revolve around rugrats.

HiddenChicken said...

Thanks! I only got your message Sunday evening - I would've loved to get together. Unfortunately, everyone in the house had passed out from said bundle of energy/hilarity/joy. Another day, another two-hour jog. I'll give you a call in the next few days.