Friday, July 31, 2009

Why yes, I would like cheese with my whine.

My husband has been asleep since 2:30 this afternoon. It's now 10 p.m. The hours he's been putting in at work are insane. He crept in at 4 or 4:30 a.m. this morning, so I guess he worked around 18-20 hours yesterday. All told, he must have been up for almost 24 hours. When I called him around 2 a.m. - I don't sleep well when everyone's not where they're supposed to be and also had trouble believing that this company would force its contractors to work so late (sure he'd gotten in an accident) - I could hear the guys at work in the background, clacking away on their keyboards and having a freaking meeting. At 2 a.m.

What kind of organization actually thinks you're going to get something valuable out of someone who's been working around the clock? I really don't get it. He's been working until 10:30 or 11 a few nights a week and they even tried to call him in at 10 p.m. Sunday. What the heck? He even got sick this morning, probably in part because of a bug but I can't imagine not sleeping helped. Then for some bizarre reason (ok - same reason he worked until 4, thank you very much, you asshat VP), he dragged his sorry butt into work at 10 a.m., then decided to get home before he could no longer drive.

Don't the people who demand this have families? I guess they're not the guys who have to do the work, so it doesn't matter. It ticks me off that they treat their contractors as sub-human. And I hate the way this disrupts our family life and, selfishly, me. Our son hasn't seen his father much in about three or four days and I haven't, either. I've been losing hours at work, getting there later than I should and leaving early to pick Ragsy up at daycare. I also haven't been able to work out this week, thanks to an increase in-and-out-of-bed trips (Ragsy's excited about pre-school), so I'm starting to gross myself out.

As the icing on the cake, I'm getting to that transitional point in pregnancy where I'm developing new fat pockets and getting stressed about stuff I need to do before this baby comes. Extra cellulite on my thighs and butt, absolutely ginormous breasts and my arm muscles are softening (probably in large part because I'm not carrying a 30-pound kid around as much anymore) - even my freaking calves feel extra jiggly. And having an absent partner who would normally share some of the burden of childcare while I get things clean is not helpful.

Okay, with all that whining, what sayings can I think of to make fun of myself? Please feel free to add other sayings you come up with.

Hmmm...

As noted in the title, I would like some cheese with my whine.

Please call a whaaaambulance.

Boo-freaking-hoo.

Poor me.

There. I'm sluggish and tired (mostly thanks to crappy diet and zero exercise) or I might even be creative and make some up on my own. No such luck, though.

No comments: