Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bathroom Broadcasts.

I keep forgetting how newly potty trained my son is. Just a couple weeks of this and it feels like he's been in underwear forever. Last night he reminded me of how excited he still is about potty training. In a Borders.

So, I had to pee, as most pregnant women do. My son is kind of afraid of public bathrooms because they're much larger than those we have at home and the toilets are much louder. After finally managing to lure him into the bathroom to at least wait outside the stall for me, he abruptly climbed under just as another patron was entering. I asked him not to; he kept coming. All in all, no big deal - kind of gross, worthy of a, "Hey, we don't do that," and another handwash.

So, he stood there in front of me, happily playing with his straw (he still has an obsession with sticks and stick-like things), when abruptly he yanks my legs open and, before I could snap them shut, looks in the potty, looks up at me (my face, thankfully) and crows, "Hey, mommy, you peed! Good job. I'm so proud of you! Now you can ride the school bus, too!" Then proceeds to clap and dance for joy. All the while, I'm snorting and laughing, my head in my hands. I know I shouldn't because it'll encourage it later, but, darn it, it was funny and I couldn't exactly leave immediately.

I could hear the woman in the next stall snickering, and she exited quickly while I was rearranging myself in the stall. All I can think of is that at least he didn't tell anyone outside the bathroom.

1 comment:

BriteLady said...

My 2 year old cheers for anyone who uses the potty. And he has been known to attempt to help wipe. Other people. Always helpful, that one.