Thursday, July 9, 2009

Doctor's appointments and more doctor's appointments.

I will be very glad when this baby is born, if only because I am sick of my doctors. Not that they haven't been very good to me, but...I'm really just tired of all the appointments. Can't I just call and tell them I'm fine?

Monday was the neurologist, today the OB. Tomorrow is a blood test, next week another blood test, a week from Monday is another ultrasound. That's not terrible, though. If I were actually ill, it'd be worse. I did have a reassuring discussion today with my OB. He was a little miffed with the perinatologist who talked about the choroid plexus cysts and managed to make me feel much better. There's a big difference between someone telling you, "Well, these cysts can be associated strongly with stillbirths and early child death, but I think yours should be ok, but that might not be true" and "I'm required to tell you about these, but I've never delivered a child who experienced a problem from these." Even though my OB isn't the most personable individual I've run across, I wanted to hug him by the time I left today.

My neurology appointment was good as well. I did the usual DUI battery (that's the best way to describe it) where I touched my fingers to my nose with my eyes closed, stood on one foot, walked across the floor on toes then heels, then did a few other reflex tests. My reflexes are pretty rock solid.

My sense of smell lately has been in overdrive and it's making me completely nuts. At least Ragsy and my husband don't smell any different. Everything else does, though. I can't stand the smell in my bathroom. And, no, I don't mean any toilet-related scents. I mean I can smell the soap residue that has built up inside the sink and I can't seem to scrub it enough to make it go away, so anytime my face gets near the sink while I'm brushing my teeth or washing my face, I have to hold my breath so I don't recoil. It's absolutely maddening.

I had an overdeveloped sense of smell to begin with, but this is ridiculous. I feel like I'm being bombarded by scent. My clothes smell funny even though they're clean. Food smells wonderful as usual, but more sharply wonderful than before. Outside smells alternately heavenly and like asphalt or grease or gas depending on where I am. It's almost enough to drive me nuts.

The whole experience gives new meaning to waking up and smelling the coffee. Or rather, the leftover stench in my car that used to be delicious-smelling coffee, but after I drink it is the scent of dregs rather than caffeinated deliciousness.

No comments: