Saturday, May 16, 2009

Tested.

My brain has been incredibly scattered the past three weeks, probably thanks to our crazy schedule lately. I'm hoping for a slowdown next week. Today we went to one of Ragsy's friend's birthday parties (okay, so friend is probably a stretch at 3, but he seems to like her). It was lots of fun for all of us, but I can't believe how that kid can run. I think I need to get him a soccer ball or put him in pee wee soccer next year.

Seriously, he puts me to shame. Granted, I'm pregnant and all, but still - I haven't run that long without stopping for...well, I can't remember the last time. it's probably been several months at least.

Anyway, pregnancy is going well. I'm less tired. Still annoyed with all the appointments and tests - I had four appointments or tests this week alone: one with my regular OB (urine sample) and another with the perinatologist (another urine sample) on Monday, a blood test Thursday, an ultrasound Friday. I have to do a 24-hour creatine test this weekend with another blood test to follow Monday. I could really do without the creatine test.

In case you've never done one, it involves a pitcher that attaches to your toilet, a cooler a jug. In case you're trying to block it out, it's the mother of all urine samples. And yes, you have to keep it on ice. Disgusted yet? Once you deliver it to the lab, then they take a bunch of blood for testing. I'm not happy about it, but it could be lots worse.

The bright spot in all these appointments is the additional ultrasounds - they're kind of fun and the equipment in the perinatal center is higher tech than what they use in the doctor's office. I actually got to see the pulse of the corn blood through my baby's umbilical cord. His or her mouth was opening and closing, too - it looked like a raptor.

One interesting thing the doc told me was that she felt my eclampsia was intertwined with my seizure disorder, which is something I've been asking my neurologist and OB about. Both said no, but I'd prefer to listen to the perinatologist. Of course, a lot of that has to do with her agreeing with me, but, there you go. Still, it seems likely that, while eclampsia is technically a hypertensive issue, if it has a neurological consequence, someone with faulty neurological wiring to begin with would maybe be more prone to it.

I like her a lot. Well, minus the ridiculously large pee sample. Okay, all done rambling. I'm sleepy and my husband has turned on the Corpse Bride by Tim Burton. I've never seen it, but if it's anything like Nightmare Before Christmas, I'm probably not going to appreciate it. I don't generally get movies for anything other than entertainment's sake - appreciating their artistic qualities is almost always beyond me.

3 comments:

flatflo said...

Hee-hee...you said "corn blood".

Is this one your little kernel?

Or are you setting her/him up for a lifetime of making bad puns?

See you later,
Laura

HiddenChicken said...

Gah! That must have been a Freudian slip, given that I'm from Indiana. I guess this one is destined to de-tassle.

Sarahlynn said...

Hah! And I just thought that was a term I'd overlooking in my previous prenatal readings.

This from someone who took a lot of biology in college. Apparently, all that taught me was to assume that I'm wrong and work from there.