Friday, May 29, 2009

So much dirt, so little time.

I was planning to take the whole day off today to help my friend with any incidentals associated with her wedding tomorrow. And I got my wish - I have the whole day off, but my morning will be spent waiting for the AC guy. Sadly, I ours is showing signs that it's about to give. We knew it was older when we bought the house, so this wasn't unexpected. In fact, we have a little fund going to get a new one just for this event, though we were hoping that it would last a little longer. Anyway, I'll be confined to my house until somewhere around 11 or 12 probably.

That isn't always a bad thing, though. Here's my silver lining: I generally get maybe 10-15 minutes of time to myself a day, if I'm lucky. I'm sure it'll get worse with kid #2 because, well, that's their job and mine is to take care of them. But, I'm looking forward to getting some stuff done first. So...

As soon as I finish this, I'll polish off my daily cup of coffee. Then, I'll:
-Finish putting my other raised bed together
-Mow the lawn
-Dig up the sod for the bed
-Place the bed
-Hopefully have time to put together our brand new wheelbarrow
-If the dirt shipment I've ordered comes in early enough from the local nursery and wheelbarrow has been assembled, use said wheelbarrow to move dirt from the top of the driveway into the beds (I can't wait for this part)
-Shower
-After the AC guy comes, get my dress
-Head over to help out with the wedding (I can't arrive any later than 1, though, because that would just be jerkish since I have to get my kid at 5-ish)

Once you own a house, weekends are never the same again. It doesn't matter if you have a kid or not - there's always maintenance. The strange thing is that I enjoy it, especially the outside and dirty bits. So working days off aren't always as unwelcome as you might expect they would be. There's always so much dirt to play with and way too little time to wallow in it.

No comments: