Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Explaining the ridiculous.

Ragsy has been enjoying the opportunity to set us straight recently. And there's precious little you can say to a toddler other than "Yuh-huh" once they've made up their mind that you're an idiot. Last week was a good example.

My son has decided that he is also pregnant. Which is fine - apparently that's pretty common. Regardless, I thought I'd take an opportunity to explain a few of the differences between boys and girls because he's been showing a lot of interest in whether or not I have a penis recently. So, after we briefly covered the external parts, I told him that only older girls could have babies in their tummies because they had special parts inside, too, where they could carry a baby. His response was a sharp look, a roll of the eyes and saying, "Mommy, that's just ridiculous." Touche, little man.

Then Saturday, he was playing with his train as usual, running it under the chair in our living room, which my husband was occupying. My husband leaned over the edge and said, "Am I sitting on the tunnel?" Ragsy, apparently concerned for his father's sanity, stood up and patiently explained, "No, you're sitting on a chair, daddy. Remember?" My husband nodded, then Ragsy cupped his face and said, "Do you understand my words, daddy?" Another nod. Apparently satisfied, Ragsy said, "Well, okay. Just remember. This is not a tunnel. It's a chair," then calmly went back to making choo choo noises.

You can't argue with that.

2 comments:

flatflo said...

Wow. That leaves one speechless in the face of such wisdom.

Good luck with that one, ma & pa!

Sarahlynn said...

Your kid is awesome.