Sunday, January 18, 2009

Outdone in St. Louis

My husband and I went to visit one of his friends last night. We had a fabulous time, even though I looked like I'd been beaten. At least the bruising is fading. Anyway, we had a great time - both children were running around the house playing in tandem and scarfing down food like no one's business. Ragsy outlasted their daughter, who passed out on the couch in front of the TV while we were all eating. I think he's the Energizer bunny in disguise because he had no trouble waking at 7:30 (late for him - he usually gets up at 6) even after going to bed after 11, much to late for him.

I'm so glad Ragsy likes Indian food. And Chinese. And Thai. And Vietnamese. Basically, if it's put in front of him and other people are eating, he'll pick it up and try it, provided he's not being asked to do so. It was a good thing he likes Indian food, too, because my husband's friend's wife completely outdid herself.

You know how you sometimes go to someone's house and immediately want to go home and clean yours? This particular visit not only made me want to go home and clean. I wanted to go home and cook, too. Normally I don't write about food, but being presented with two appetizers, then seven different dishes, all made from scratch, and that's not including the homemade flatbreads, is nothing less than remarkable. Then there was dessert, which we couldn't eat, but the kids devoured.

The woman was a genius with food. My husband and I had been hoping to go to the Indian restaurant this weekend, but we couldn't bring ourselves to do it. We were still full this morning when we woke up. We started off with nachos and samosas. Then there were chicken biryani (a rice dish), a shrimp masala, an okra dish, malai kofta (a creamy veggie croquette), matar paneer (cheese cubes in tomato & pea gravy), sambhar and idli (a spicy veggie stew with steamed rice cakes), toor dahl (lentils) plus the requisite chapatis and parathas (both flatbreads, which she flavored with fenugreek & potato), rice, homemade pickle (made with cranberries and chilis) and homemade yogurt. It was absolutely humbling. It must have taken her hours.

By the time we left - around 10:45 - we were all stuffed to the gills and sent off with piles of leftovers plus a bit of her yogurt culture so I can make my own. It's amazing how easy it is to do. Anyway, I now feel like a huge slob. So we've been cleaning all morning. Ragsy has passed out (for the moment - he's due to wake up anytime), but the Christmas tree is finally put away, kitchen is almost clean and the wallpaper will at last be totally removed from the bathroom walls today once Ragsy wakes up and I can kick everyone out of the house for a bit. It's a lot of work, but at least I'll be able to work off the five pounds I gained yesterday alone.

No comments: