Monday, December 28, 2015

Incoming!

Another year about to end, a new one about to begin. 2015 has been relatively good to me, but the year is not over yet. And the past week we've had torrential rainfall resulting in some pretty dangerous flooding plus a lot of tornadoes, which is pretty darned unusual for December.

What I want for the new year hasn't changed from what I want every year. I want to keep my family, friends and self healthy and happy. I'd like us to be able to pay the bills comfortably. I'd like the kids to do well in school. I'd like all of us to live another hour, another day, another year the way we want to. Oh, and I'd like a smaller ass. And a long weekend or two and/or a cool vacation or just time spent with friends.

I'd make resolutions, but I don't often do so. First, they are so very easy to break. And once you break them, it's not like you pull up your big girl undies and get back to the business of keeping them. You generally fall off the wagon for a while. Or I do - I'm probably projecting. One way or the other, I'd rather not do that.

Second, using the first of January as a good day to start the rest of my thinner, healthier, happier, more self-actualized life has never worked well for me. The best place to start is that moment I realize, "I'd better do something about this or it's going to get much, much worse." I know myself. If I future-date my better self, my better self never happens. I envy those people who have the discipline to not only remember their promises but to make good on them on the date they specify, but apparently I have the memory and will of a gnat if I don't start right the heck now.

So, that's that. Another year ends, another one begins...really soon anyway. So happy everything - Happy Christmas, Kwanzaa and Hanukkah. Happy Solstice, Happy Anything I've Missed or Am too Ignorant to Be Aware Of. Happy New Year, Happy Holidays. May you be blessed with health and happiness and family and friends or at least contentment with yourself. May I have the same (and a smaller ass, which I'm working on right now).


No comments: