Thursday, February 12, 2015

Plot Maps - More Fun than a Barrell of Monkeys

After going to a party over the weekend and asking a friend if she used a plot map when writing her novels, I wondered why I had asked that since I have rarely used one when writing mine. I generally use a simple spreadsheet and just make random notes in it so I have a vague sketch of what the heck is going on - otherwise I wind up rewriting the damn thing twenty times before the novel is even half done.

So today I decided that for my upcoming book, I was going to sit down and write a plot map. I forgot how much I love plot maps. Not only do they force you to think about what it is you're going to say, you can say things like "hot monkey sexand "Cheez Wiz" in your notes and no one cares (luckily they were not in the same section - because that would be gross). I don't get that very often in my regular line of work. No one wants to hear about Medicare and hot monkey sex in the same sentence.

Anyway, it's a really nice brain break. Of course, once you actually get to the guts of writing the thing and tying the parts of the story together, that can get annoying. But worthwhile. I wish I'd written another plot map sooner.

Oh, and yes, I did get off my virtual butt and google BAFTA. So instead of thinking, "what is that?!" I now think, "Ugh, another award ceremony? Thank God I wind up drooling on myself before I can watch TV at night."

I'm fairly convinced that very few normal people watch award shows and that viewing is probably limited to famous people who couldn't be there for some reason or members of the press who couldn't be there. The normal people who watch them are probably watching them to get a glimpse of someone particular. So there.

No comments: